Monday (Not) FunDay


I usually look forward to Mondays.  They kick off the work week, my meeting schedule ins’t cumbersome, and I have my SheSquad session – It’s a women’s only workout with Coach Ally at night that I love.  This Monday however, the universe had something different in mind for me.  

Going to sleep Thursday night, I felt a light, yet annoying tickle in my throat.  I woke up Friday morning with a little bit of a cough, but went about my day and felt fine.  Saturday morning I woke up early to head to CT to attend a childhood friend’s bridal shower.  At this point, I realized that I was coming down with something and questioned my trip.  I pushed on and drove the 2.5 hours to western CT.  After the shower, I headed down to Manhattan for a few hair appointments and then picked my mom up from her flight back from LA that night.  Finally at about 10pm, I made it back to my parents house with my mom.  I was also officially under the weather with congestion and a nasty cough.  Sunday was a good sleep in day for me before I headed back to Boston, but waking up, I quickly realized that I felt a lot less than amazing.

When I got back home to Boston, I headed straight to CVS to grab some day and night cold medicine.  I was tired and knew that I needed a good night’s sleep before work the next day.  I took my night time cold medicine, expecting to fall right to sleep and wake up feeling somewhat refreshed.  Sleep, however, was not in the plans.  It turns out that I’m one of those weirdos who are kept awake all night by medicines that are supposed to make you sleep.  I was awake all night tossing and turning, blowing my nose, and coughing.  Poor Jay probably didn’t get much rest either.  When my alarm went off for work, I knew that I was not feeling up to going in.  Plus, blowing my nose and coughing constantly made me feel like a less than desirable office mate, so I emailed my boss and team to let them know that I’d be staying home.

Home.  It’s nice here, but being here today means that my Monday is basically canceled.  My body is forcing me to rest because if I don’t, I won’t get better very quickly.  I’m not used to sitting still, and doing so doesn’t come easily to me.  Being busy is an integral part of who I am.  I go from one thing to the next all day long, but being sick means that I can’t operate the way I normally do.  It forces me to rest, which to me, is a necessary evil.  Hopefully I’ll sleep tonight and be able to slowly return to normal life and my work out schedule as the week goes on.  In the meantime, I’ll be at home, resting, with my fingers crossed that I get better soon.  Sigh.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s