It’s been off for a few weeks due to general life craziness, but Food Friday is back! If you’ve been reading my posts, at this point you know that Jay is the chef in our house. I think I’ve permanently retired from cooking, and I’m totally okay with that. He cooks, I eat. It works. Sometimes he asks me what I want for dinner and I usually respond with something to the effect of “It doesn’t matter, I’m flexible.” Then he whips something up and it’s ready when I get home from work. It’s basically magic.
One night recently, Jay cooked up some tri tip sandwiches that were pretty great and in my estimation, share-worthy. Here’s how you can recreate his magic at your house:
Tri tip or flank steak – 8oz per person
2 tbs Olive Oil
2tbs Cider Vinegar
1 tbs Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Clove Fresh Garlic
1 pint Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
1/2 cup Vidalia Onion, sliced
3 cups Arugula
Vinaigrette of Choice (We used Cindy’s Kitchen Barcelona)
1 Loaf of French or Other Crusty Bread
2. In a large zip lock bag, mix together the olive oil, cider vinegar, Montreal steak seasoning, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder. Add steak and marinate minimum 30 minutes, maximum 3 hours.
3. Remove steak from bag. Cook on grill or grill pan on medium heat to desired doneness. Let rest a minute or two on a cutting board. Slice thinly for sandwiches.
4. Mix tomatoes, vidalia onion slices, and arugula together in a bowl. Dress with 1/2 tbs vinaigrette.
5. Slice bread for sandwiches and either heat in the oven wrapped in foil, or on grill right before serving.
6. Once bread is heated, drizzle on a small amount of olive oil and then top bread with sliced meat and salad. Eat either as a closed or open faced sandwich.
Happy Friday and Enjoy!