I’m pretty sure that everyone I know loves tacos. What’s not to love, right? The calories, that’s what. Tacos (namely the shells) have A LOT of calories. Fortunately, there are some alternative way to make them. Yes, it takes a little more effort than buying a taco kit in the store, but it’s worth it, and your waist line will thank you.
We decided to try to figure out a way to make paleo tacos when we did a whole30 a few years ago. We were dying to eat something that felt forbidden at the time, and so the hunt for a compliant taco recipe ensued. Of course some of the taco ingredients are simply toppings, which are easy whole30/paleo wins. Pico de gallo is totally compliant, peppers work, leafy greens are fine, and meat and seasoning is fine as well. Obviously the big no-no’s are sour cream and cheese, so for this version we’re going to leave them out. If you’re just in the mood to try something new and not be completely paleo, definitely feel free to include cheese and sour cream!
This is leaves us at the issue of the shells. Taco shells, as you can imagine, are not paleo nor are they whole30 approved. Jay hunted and hunted for a recipe that he felt would work well and he came up with this one from Stupid Easy Paleo. These are going to yield soft taco shells. If you’re a huge fan of crunchy taco shells (I usually prefer them), then for today’s Food Friday, we’re a bit out of luck. Anywho, once you have your shells made per the recipe link, then you’re ready to start with the rest of the recipe. It’s easy peasy.
1 lb ground chicken (If you can’t find this, cut up frozen chicken and put it in your food processor on pulse for an even grind)
1/2 chicken stock
1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 tbs chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tsp black pepper
Pico de Gallo:
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/8 cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Lime squeeze
- 1/2 lemon squeeze
- Salt & Pepper
Arugula and lime wedges for garnish
What To Do with the Ingredients:
- In a bowl, mix together all pico de gallo ingredients.
- Put your toppings in small bowls – arugula, etc
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients in for the taco seasoning.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add ground chicken and a 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Cook chicken until cooked through and then add taco seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
- Once your chicken is cooked, top your shells with the chicken, pico, arugula, and avocado, squeeze of lime, and enjoy!